Monday, July 28, 2008

a little more on the devo discussion

I sat down this evening and watched for the VERY first time Steel Magnolias. How have I made it this long without ever seeing it? A very cute, but oh so sad!

So, I've been meaning to get back to this post from over a week now...thank you all for your awesome suggestions on bible studies, devos and books.

Go back and read the comments if you are searching for something too. A lot of y'all recommended Beth Moore and some of your favorites...you just can't go wrong with a Beth Moore study. They are especially fun to do in a group so you can laugh together and pass a box of tissues around to one another. Some discs need a mascara alert on them.

The Cheek of God recommended John Ortberg. Oh my word how I love his book "If you want to walk on water, You've got to get out of the boat". Please put this on your list if you have not read it. I've got my dad reading this one right now and he's loving it. It's a powerful read. I distinctly remember being late for a class in college while reading this during a break.


Okay, so before I tell you what I picked here's some devos that I've used or am using that I love. I thought I'd share in case you may be searching for something to dig into His word with.

~ My father-in-law always tosses in my purse on the way out from a visit the latest issue of "Our Daily Bread" from RBC ministries. It's a little book that has 3 months of devotionals in it at a time. I love doing one each day. I'm pretty sure you can get them sent to you if you navigate around the website.



~ 2nd I just recently fell in love with the classic "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers. This is some deep reading so this is the devotional boy and I try to do together. It's a great time to bounce what we read back and forth and it's our time together. I will be perfectly honest and say we do not read it every day. I feel this is one that we go through even when we get dentures and grey hair.

~ Lifeway's HomeLife Magazine. I know shocking that I read a magazine that's title isn't People or Instyle. But this is seriously one of my favorites that I look forward to each month. It's filled with scripture and some great articles on faith and marriage. Highly...highly recommend.


Oh, my list could go on but I'll stop there. There's a few I still want to try including Beth Moore's Jesus 90 Days with the One & Only and Kelly Minter's No Other Gods (this is a group one that I may have to get some of my gal pals to do with me in the fall).

But the one I picked is Life Lessons with Max Lucado Book of Romans! A lady that passed away in my father-in-law's congregation had asked that boy and I be given a box of books that included some devotionals. We were extremely grateful and humbled to be given such a special treasure that belonged to a truly inspirational person. So I felt this would be a great one to start with.

So there we have it. Again thank y'all for your awesome suggestions. If you think of any more resources to add do leave them in a comment.

5 comments:

Heidi Zawisza said...

I'm glad you found something......I am going to get something new too. Maybe I'll try this!

Anonymous said...

The first Max Lucado I ever read was "The Applause of Heaven" many many years ago. Got a chance to hear him speak at Willow Creek once. He's the real deal . . .

Aubs said...

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!! I L.O.V.E. to read and that magazine is definatly something i am going to look into!! Hope you enjoy your new study...sounds like a great one!

Little Steps Of Faith said...

Hola:)

So yea I have the John Ortberg book...but I lost it somewhere....I'm as disorganized as they come...but its a good book:)

I am looking in to actually writing one on my own, but putting it through still as a weekly devotional. I'm in love with Ephesians right now:)

Love you!

Ang

Page said...

First of all, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN STEEL MAGNOLIAS???? That blows my mind! If I'd know that, I would have mailed you the DVD sooner...it's a classic! Second, I love your suggestions for bible studies as I have recently been looking for one as well...I'm still trying to decide if I want to do one on my own, with my hubby or in a group. Thanks for the suggestions!