I'm throwing an upcoming baby shower and can I be totally honest when I say that some of the baby shower decorations to buy are boring. I was looking for something for my mantle and had seen some done in magazines with more of a triangle shape so I tweaked it a bit. It was super easy. Here's how you do it if you get the craft bug.
1. I went to Hobby Lobby, printed off a coupon from their website (40% off) and grabbed 3 coordinating fabrics and 3 yards of ribbon that matched the baby's nursery and shower theme. It depends on how long of a name for how much fabric you'll need. This is for a baby Ava, so the name being only 3 letters needed only about 1/4 yd. in each fabric. Double check the remnant section first, I found both the prints at 3/4 yd. each in there at $3 each. Awesome deal!! The chocolate brown I added and it was 30% off too, so I just used my coupon on the ribbon. Total: Under $8. Score!
2. Make a pattern for the pendants. I took an old file folder that was pretty sturdy, traced half a bowl (flipped upside down) and then used a ruler to make the lines and connect it. It so does not have to be perfect, so just create until you like the pattern you get (Remember, that you will be adding a stitch so if you get a size you like add a little trim around the edge for when you sew it).
3. Plan where you want each fabric to go and then go ahead and cut them out. For a 3 letter name you need 6 pendants. So I cut out 3 of each patterned print.
4. Now you need some letters. I went back to my scraps from my file folder and free handed and "a" and a "v" making it un-perfect and a little whimsical. If that scares you. Find a font you like on the printer, print each letter off at a large font and then trace it around the brown.
5. Attach each letter to a separate pendant. You can sew them on, use a glue gun or like me used a no sew binding tape that you iron on.
6. Sew the pendents together then iron to press.
7. Either using a glue gun or the no sew tape attach your 3 yd. ribbon.
And their you go. I thought it turned out really cute and will be fun to add over my mantle (sorry my mantle is a mess so I just hung it around something else) and then the mommy to be can take it home with her. I think you could so do this for a birthday party or just as a fun accent in a kid's room.