Friday, July 13, 2007

Diet Nachos

I got this great new recipe book the other day and guess what it had in there....NACHOS! I almost passed out in excitement because no diet I have ever been on told you to eat nachos. So tonight I made out my list of ingredients and went to the store for our Nacho Night evening. At the check out I was blindingly reminded of why we Do just eat our Taco Bueno nachos...because it's CHEAPER. My ingredients for healthy nachos and guacamole cost over $25 bucks. Can you believe it??? I could have just driven a little further and gone through the drive thru, paid $5 for a ginormous meal, and not had to spend 45 minutes cooking it or cleaning up. And we wonder why the nation is overweight? I vote we switch the prices of the 2.

Anyway, our Diet nachos were still very tasty. Boy even approved although he couldn't quite figure out where the salt was.

Here's the recipe if you want to break the bank:
2 Avocados
2 tomatillos (the store was out so I had to improvise) chopped
1/2 cup onion chopped and seedless
1 garlic clover minced
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tomato chopped and seedless
1 tbs. lime juice
Mash avocados, then add in the rest and stir

Chips: Buy corn tortillas and cut each into 6th. Spray pan with Pam and then bake on eachside for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.

Nachos:
Homemade chips, reduced fat monteray jack and chedder cheese, 1 can of pinto beans rinsed and drained then mash up, guac., and a lowfast salsa. You can also add any pepper or chiles if you want.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Girl that sounds intense!!!

I think I've had a $25 similar experience before. Clearly you can't put it back while you're at the register! lol :(